AdAway is an open source ad blocker for Android using the hosts file.
The application is available for rooted and non-rooted devices.
Using rooted device, the application update your system hosts file that contains a list of mappings between host names and IP addresses.
Using non-rooted device, the application use the VPN feature to block outgoing connections to ads and trackers.
So when an app requests an ad or a tracker from a host in that file, this request is redirected to the local IP 127.0.0.1, which does nothing.
You can download predefined ads and blocker lists as hosts files from within the app to incorporate. It is also possible to use your own files and to add certain hosts to allowed and blocked lists.
There are options to run a local web server to respond to blocked host names and to direct requests to the IP address of your choosing instead.
- AdAway is Open Source and Free Software (GPLv3+)
- AdAway lets you select your own sources of hosts files
- You can add exceptions to your Whitelist if an app is not working when specific hosts are blocked
- You can define extra hostnames in your own Blacklist
- You can add your own (hostname, IP)-pairs in the Redirection List
- Android version: 8.0+
- Read/Write access on system-Partition
How to install?
- Save the downloaded .apk on your android phone’s SD card
- Run and install it
- That’s it,Enjoy!
[toggle title=”Old VERSIONS” state=”close”]